Thursday, February 12, 2009

Richard Rohr on "Male saints"

"Male saints are, quite simply, people who are whole. They trust their masculine soul because they have met the good masculine side of God, whom we have called 'The Father'. The Father taught them about anger, passion, power and clarity. He told them to go all the way through and pay the price for it. He shared with them his own creative seed, his own decisive word, his own illuminating Spirit. They are comfortable knowing, and they are comfortable not knowing. They can care and not care--without guilt or shame. They can act without success because they have named their fear of failure. They do not need to affirm or deny, judge or ignore. But they are free to do all of them with impunity. A saint is invincible."

Without the rest of the book for context, this might be read with some incredulity. Rohr is helping us men, often men who have not had mentors who have helped us understand what it means to be a real man, to understand what it means to be male...but not just the male animal, but the male as the creator God intended us to be. I want to understand that...in all it's depth & breadth. I want to be all the my Father intends me to be.

I read words like...."without guilt or shame"....and I say awesome! Some would say the christian message wants to lay a guilt or shame message on us. Here I see God intends that I should be confident, powerful, productive, real...without guilt or shame in that. Our God is a redemptive and liberating God. This is what I want to enjoy.

No comments: