Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Grand Canyon Hike


In September 2008, I traveled to the Grand Canyon with 25 other men for a trip billed as a midlife sabbatical. It was a life changing event. My group, consisting of 9 men, entered the canyon going down the Grandview trail, along the Horseshoe Mesa, the Hance Creek on to Hance Rapids & up the New Hance Trail to exit the canyon. A five day trip that taught me a lot about myself. For lots of pictures....go here.

What did I learn? Well, I learned that I'm not the man I thought I was. I thought I'd be able to handle this hike quite well. Not as well as some, but at least better than many. I really don't know how I did in the "standings", but I realized that I really was measuring. I really wanted to not be the worst...or even in the bottom tier...it mattered a lot. In some ways, I forgot to have a good time. There was one man who fell, hurt his eye, & subsequently needed a fair amount of assistance. He handled the need in his life so gracefully, it shamed me to see my own pride. Perhaps a definition of maturity is to gracefully accept your own needs, and joyfully meet others as best you can.

No comments: